Gardening in the desert
Dick Adams
2012-11-11 12:52:57 UTC
I am cross-posting this with the hope that a wider audience
will increase the possibility that I may get a fully vetted
answer.

My wife and I are discussing retiring to somewhere between
southern Nevada and northeastern Arizona. As a gardener, I'm
looking for a resource on edible plants that can be grown in
a desert climate - vegetables, herbs, spices, and even fruits.

Dick
Ecnerwal
2012-11-11 14:58:36 UTC
Post by Dick Adams
I am cross-posting this with the hope that a wider audience
will increase the possibility that I may get a fully vetted
answer.
My wife and I are discussing retiring to somewhere between
southern Nevada and northeastern Arizona. As a gardener, I'm
looking for a resource on edible plants that can be grown in
a desert climate - vegetables, herbs, spices, and even fruits.
Dick
With or without irrigation?

That, and certain ideas from permaculture (feel free to take what makes
sense to you rather than buying the whole kit and caboodle) to make sure
that as much of what rain falls gets into the ground rather than running
away makes a huge difference - as does the climate within the broad span
of desert (temperature ranges across the day, etc.)

Without spending a bunch of money on "certifications" this stuff makes a
good read, though I don't buy it all. Some folks treat it more as a
religion than an idea for growing stuff.

http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/PDC_ALL.pdf

An older take:

Tree Crops: A permanent agriculture
parts available on Google Books, including much of the mesquite chapter
and a bit about Carob.
Dick Adams
2012-11-12 04:39:51 UTC
Post by Ecnerwal
Post by Dick Adams
I am cross-posting this with the hope that a wider audience
will increase the possibility that I may get a fully vetted
answer.
My wife and I are discussing retiring to somewhere between
southern Nevada and northeastern Arizona. As a gardener, I'm
looking for a resource on edible plants that can be grown in
a desert climate - vegetables, herbs, spices, and even fruits.
With or without irrigation?
My body's not chronologically young enough for 'without irrigation'.
Post by Ecnerwal
That, and certain ideas from permaculture (feel free to take what makes
sense to you rather than buying the whole kit and caboodle) to make sure
that as much of what rain falls gets into the ground rather than running
away makes a huge difference - as does the climate within the broad span
of desert (temperature ranges across the day, etc.)
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/PDC_ALL.pdf
Excellent resource! Thank you.
Post by Ecnerwal
Without spending a bunch of money on "certifications" this stuff makes
a good read, though I don't buy it all. Some folks treat it more as a
religion than an idea for growing stuff.
Many people are searching for religion. Some find it in church, some find
it at work, some find it at home, and some just grab the next thing that
comes along.

Dick

David E. Ross
2012-11-11 15:57:47 UTC
Post by Dick Adams
I am cross-posting this with the hope that a wider audience
will increase the possibility that I may get a fully vetted
answer.
My wife and I are discussing retiring to somewhere between
southern Nevada and northeastern Arizona. As a gardener, I'm
looking for a resource on edible plants that can be grown in
a desert climate - vegetables, herbs, spices, and even fruits.
Dick
Get a copy of Sunset's "Western Garden Book". Use the front section to
determine your climate zone, which (unlike USDA zones) takes into
account summer high temperatures, winds, humidity, etc. Then use the
plant encyclopedia to determine which plants are suitable.

Of course, availability of water for irrigation should be a prime
concern. In some areas, water is limited to indoor use, either by law
or by pricing.

Where sufficient water is available, some plants that normally require
full sun might thrive in part shade. For example, citrus can be grown
in the desert in the shade of date palms. For this, you should consult
the agricultural extension service in the area.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see